Transfer Talk: Kimpembe to stay at PSG despite interest from Chelsea
The summer transfer window is here, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Presnel Kimpembe is set to stay at PSG
Presnel Kimpembe looks set to stay put this summer, despite uncertainty over his future in the France capital, according to L’Equipe.
The 26-year-old centre-back has been on the radar of clubs in Europe in recent weeks, but after he impressed the Paris Saint-Germain staff in training, new manager Christopher Galtier now wants to keep him at Parc des Princes.
With Chelsea turning their attention to Leicester City defender Wesley Fofana, the Ligue 1 champions don’t expect to part ways with Kimpembe this summer, and having found clarity over his future, it is expected that he will feature in the squad for the league opener against Clermont on Saturday.
The France international is contracted at PSG until the summer of 2024, having last signed an extension in 2020.
12.33 BST: Everton are edging closer to a deal for Belgium international Amadou Onana, having beaten West Ham to his signature.
The Daily Mirror reports that Everton will play a transfer fee of £33.7m for the 20-year-old midfielder.
It adds that Onana will have a medical on Saturday ahead of completing a move from Lille, and he could make his debut against Aston Villa next weekend.
11.50 BST: The Daily Mail reports that Marcos Alonso has said his goodbyes to the Chelsea staff as he prepares to move to Barcelona.
Alonso, 31, finds himself pushed down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge after the club signed Marc Cucurella from Brighton & Hove Albion in a deal worth an initial £56m, with a possible £7m in add-ons.
The report says that Alonso agreed personal terms with Barca over a two-year deal months ago, and it is now set to go through.
The story is supported in Spain by Sport.
11.06 BST: Could Manchester United turn to a former Premier League striker to solve their attacking problems? Former Stoke City and West Ham forward Marko Arnautovic, 33, is reported to be on Erik ten Hag’s list of targets.
Gazzetta dello Sport says that United have explored the possibility of bringing the Austria international back to England from Bologna. He scored 14 goals in 31 Serie A appearances last season.
Arnautovic had previously been linked with Juventus, but they were not prepared to match Bologna’s demands of €15-20m.
10.25 BST: Chelsea are prepared to break the world record transfer fee for a defender to sign Leicester City’s Wesley Fofana, according to the Daily Telegraph.
On Saturday morning, transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano reported that Chelsea have made a new transfer offer worth in excess of £70m for the 21-year-old, and are awaiting an answer.
Chelsea have submitted a fresh proposal for Wesley Fofana on Friday in excess of £70m. Leicester have turned down the proposal, Rodgers also insists he’s not for sale. 🚨🔵 #CFC
…but Chelsea are determined to try again for Fofana.
The player would be 100% keen on the move. pic.twitter.com/u8ccvb9p4D
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 6, 2022
Leicester already hold the world record for the highest transfer fee received, for Harry Maguire’s move to Manchester United in 2019, and if the Foxes play hard ball with Chelsea they could get even more for Fofana.
09.43 BST: ICYMI, AS Roma completed the signing of Paris Saint-Germain’s Netherlands midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season on Friday evening.
The former Liverpool midfielder leaves French champions PSG having scored three goals in 38 appearances after joining on a three-year deal in 2021.
“It’s a really good feeling to be a Roma player,” Wijnaldum, 31, said. “Everyone I have spoken to has given me great feedback about the club and its fans.
“The club made it clear just how much they wanted me in the efforts they made to complete the deal, which always gives a player a lot of confidence and belief.”
🆕 𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗘 | Georginio Wijnaldum 🐺🇳🇱
We are delighted to confirm the signing of the renowned central midfielder!
In conjunction with partners around the world, the club continues to use its platform to raise awareness of missing children. ❤️
#ASRoma | @ICMEC_official pic.twitter.com/McaXQF7cjE
— AS Roma English (@ASRomaEN) August 5, 2022
09.00 BST: Arsenal‘s debutants paved the way for a 2-0 win at Crystal Palace on the opening night of the Premier League season on Friday and coach Mikel Arteta said there might be some more new faces coming in before the end of the transfer window.
“We are going to try,” Arteta told Sky Sports after his side got off to the perfect start. “We have a few things going on now and if we get them it will be great – but for now, we have to work with the players we have.”
– Leeds United will have to make an offer of £22m if they are to sign Paris Saint-Germain forward Arnaud Kalimuendo, reports CBS. There is a difference of opinion between PSG sporting director Luis Campos and manager Christophe Galtier, with the latter keen to keep the 20-year-old. Stade Rennais are also interested in his services.
– Galatasaray have joined the race to sign Turkey striker Serdar Dursun, reveals Ekrem Konur. The 30-year-old has been on the radar of Union Berlin and Schalke 04 this summer, and he is now attracting interest from the Super Lig club. Darsun contributed 19 goals in 33 league appearances last season.
– A deal is expected to be completed next week between Tottenham Hotspur and Udinese for Destiny Udogie, writes Gianluca Di Marzio. The 19-year-old wing-back will join the north London club for a transfer fee of €26m before being loaned back to the Serie A side for the 2022-23 campaign. Udogie contributed nine goals in 35 games for the Friulani last season.
– Goalkeeper Keylor Navas is on the shortlist of Napoli, according to Calciomercato. Talks have begun with Paris Saint-Germain over a potential deal for the 35-year-old, who faces competition for his place at PSG with Italy international Gianluigi Donnarumma.
– Also from Calciomercato, Alexis Sanchez is close to completing his move from Internazionale to Marseille. The Nerazzurri are set to offer the 33-year-old €7m as severance, and that has allowed talks to advance between the Ligue 1 club and former Premier League star.
The author of 5 books, 3 of which are New York Times bestsellers. I’ve been published in more than 100 newspapers and magazines and am a frequent commentator on NPR.